Web-based RSS readers like Google reader etc. are always good when you are totally web savvy, and try to carry out everything through the browser itself, but when you use a desktop based app, the control and customization of the reader client is better than what you do in a website.
GreatNews is a desktop based RSS reader which has got all the features that one would need and expect to get the best experience in RSS feed reading on their desktop –
- This is a lighter app than others like FeedDemon or ReadAir and eats less memory space when in use
- Fast and easy updating of feeds in the reader
- Full page reading
- Different styles for reading the feeds
- Categorize news articles with labels
- Integrated internet browser, with tabs and popup blocking
- Auto-discovery of RSS feeds
More features –
- Importing of opml feeds from other feed readers is possible
- Customized search in particular feed or through the whole reader
- Offline reading of the feeds possible
- Locally saving of the feed articles possible
- You can track the comments and statistics
The only thing i didn’t like about GreatNews is the very simple and non-attractive look, otherwise the reader rocks.