Encrypting iPhone back up is very important if you want to protect your information from others, this is a pretty simple procedure which is often overlooked by many who don’t know its importance.
What is Encryption and Decryption:
Encryption is the conversion of data into a form, called a ciphertext, that cannot be easily understood by unauthorized people. Decryption is the process of converting encrypted data back into its original form, so it can be understood.
This will help us protect our personal and particularly important information from others.
Why to Encrypt your iPhone Backup:
- When you BackUp your iPhone on your PC the files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\”username”\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
- This way anyone who has access to your PC or even anyone hacking your computer can easily come in contact with your personal information stored in your PC and which you Back up in your PC, her’s a list of things which are available:
- SMS conversations, Contacts, Notes, Images, Videos, Music files, Voice Recordings
- I guess too most people these are personal stuff which will be preferred to be kept away from others, so i guess this intrusion into your privacy is enough to take care to Encrypt your iPhone Backup wile Backing up your iPhone.
- This can be particularly useful for High end professional and politicians and people who prefer to have a safe and easy to access place to keep their information.
How to Encrypt your iPhone BackUp:
- Plug in your iPhone or iPad into your Windows PC or Mac’s USB port and launch iTunes.
- You can now see your Device in the left side Devices pane in your iTunes from where you will have to Select your device under “Devices” in iTunes.
- After which there will be a Summary page opening in your iTunes, which will be showing information regarding your iPhone and various other things apart from the “Encrypt your iPhone Backup” option which we need.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the summary page and check the box next to “Encrypt iPhone backup.”
- Now this will open a dialogue box in your iTunes which will ask you to “Enter a password to protect your iPhone backup file”
- And you should be filling in 2 boxes to secure your iPhone Back up
- Choose a password that will be used to access your phone’s backups.
Make a note that you cannot take chances with this password by forgetting it as you will be prompted for this password each time you wish to:
- Backup your files
- When you want to access your Backed up files
- You should be entering this password each time when you restore your iPhone
There is an option seen in the dialogue box when you are entering your password stating “Remember this password in my keychain” which should be selected only if you are confidant about your privacy or else there is no use of using a password which can be accessed by everyone.
So once you have encrypted your iPhone back up you can be assured that your important files saved in your Backup files in your Laptop or PC are safe and cannot be tampered or misused