If you have just moved from your Windows operating system to the MAC OS X then you might be surprising why the .rar extension files are not opening up. So, let’s know how you can open the rar files easily, just with a simple procedure, you can open the rar files in your MAC. Basically, the .rar files are very similar to the zip files which is an archive file format that supports data compression. Rar files contain other files which packages all together and are compressed into one.
Procedure to Open RAR files on your MAC:
- First, to open a .rar file on your Mac, you need to download a software tool called UnRarX. After downloading the software tool, you need to now open the UnrarX zip file, and drag the application to your Applications folder for installing the same.
- Now, navigate to the .rar file you want to open in the applications.
- Now, you need to double click on the rar file and when the first time you use UnRarX a pop-up window will be appearing asking if you want to allow UnRarX to automatically check for updates when it starts every time. Accordingly, click on Yes or No as per your needs.
- After clicking on Ok, again, you will be displayed with a welcome message screen requesting you to donate the UnRarX developer(s) a small amount of donation. This message will only appear once. For now, click on Not Right Now but if you really wanted to contribute then go ahead and click on Donate. You can also donate later by decide later by selecting Donate from the Help menu if not at the start itself.
- Now, the UnRarX will open the rar file which you selected to open at the start and the extraction of all the contents will take place. Depending upon the number of files and speed of extraction, the files will be extracted to the destination folder which you can select from the top of the UnRarX dashboard. When the extraction of the files finish then you will see a pop up saying that all Ok.
- Now, go back to the Finder, a new folder will have been created containing all of the files which are inside the .rar file itself.
This is it, you can now repeat the procedure every time whenever you want to extract the rar files on your Mac.