Apple has released the Find my iPhone service to locate their lost or stolen iPhones using the iPhone’s GPS. This service will be available as part of Apple’s MobileMe online subscription service.
And this Service is absolutely free and is available with the MobileMe Service as mentioned above so all you have to do is know how to activate this service from MobileMe
Before we get into the installation details i want to give you a brief list of what is required for your Find My iPhone service to work on your iPhone:
- iOS 4.2 and iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation) for free Find My iPhone
- iOS 3.1.3 or later for paid MobileMe accounts
- Mobile Me Account
How to use Find My iPhone on iPhone 3G, 3GS, or iPod touch (2nd generation or later):
If you are having a iPhone 3G, 3GS, or iPod touch (2nd generation or later) then you will have to folow these simple steps to get the Find My iPhone service to your Mobile.
- Take or Borrow your Friends iPhone 4 device and Create an Account in Mobile me by following the steps shown below.
- Use that i.d you have just created to sign in into your iPhone 3G, 3GS, or iPod touch (2nd generation) device
- These 3 steps will let you use Find My iPhone in all Apple Devices
How to Activate find My iPhone/iPad:
- Make sure your iPhone is running iOS 4.2 or later. If you’re creating a free account for the first time, you need an iPhone 4
- Download the Find My iPhone App from Apple iTunes App Store, which is absolutely Free of Cost
- Then you have to Tap on the Settings icon and choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the Add Account button and select MobileMe.
- Enter your Apple ID and password in the boxes given there which will login you to the Mobile me account.
- If you have an iTunes Store account or have ordered from the Apple Online Store, you already have an Apple ID.
- If you don’t have an Apple ID, tap Create Free Apple ID and follow the onscreen instructions.
- If you’re already a MobileMe subscriber, enter your me.com or mac.com email address and password.
- You have to Verify your account from your mail address.
- If your MobileMe account says “Not Verified,” check your email inbox (sometimes the mail can be directed to Trash folder) for a message from Apple. Click Verify Now and sign in with your Apple ID.
- If you don’t see a verification email in your inbox, select your MobileMe account and tap Resend Verification Email.
- Return to the MobileMe screen and switch on Find My iPhone.
- When the Find My iPhone message appears, tap on Allow button.
How does Find My iPhone Work:
When you lose your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, simply install the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device (mostly an iPhone 4),
Launch the Find My iPhone app and sign in with your Apple ID
You should make sure that Find My iPhone is already configured on the missing device which you are tracking. And also make sure that you have set up and turned on Find My iPhone on each device you want to locate.
Then all you have to do is go to your computer and go to www(dot)me(dot)com in your web browser.
Then you have to enter the same login credentials you used to register for Find My iPhone
Then you will immediately get a GPS reading of the phone, along with a simple menu of buttons Which allow you to
- Remotely lock the devicedisplay a message or play a sound
- Wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned
- This app will automatically sign you out after 15 minutes, or you can manually sign out at any time
- $100 per year
- $149 for Family pack Per year