One of the main features an Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro user would boast about, is the battery life. But that isn’t always the best if you aren’t maintaining and using the laptop well, and this applies not just to the Macbook Pro but any of the Apple products where you have to follow a few basic steps which would make the battery last longer in these Apple products, especially the Apple Macbook Pro.
Below is a compiled list of things you need to do, although basic but necessary, so that the battery life of the Macbook Pro is maximized and this would be best useful when you are traveling.
Apple Macbook Pro Battery Tips
Energy Saver Preferences
Optimizing the energy saver preferences in the macbook would be the first and foremost step to do, which would reduce the number of charging cycles of the battery of Macbook Pro. To get that done, you need to go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Battery > and here adjust the sliders and options based on your requirements.
The microprocessor in the battery of the Macbook Pro lets the user know how much energy and power is left in it when the Mac is charging or discharging. For these Macbook Pro laptops, it is necessary to recalibrate the battery every month to ensure an extended battery life, and a better reading response from the battery. Here’s how you can recalibrate the battery in the Macbook Pro:
- Plug in the power adapter and charge the Macbook pro until the LED light on the adapter end turns to green color, and the onscreen meter on the top panel shows that the battery is fully charged.
- Allow the battery to get charged for the next two hours although the battery is full. You can use the Macbook Pro normally while the charger is connected.
- Now disconnect the power supply and continue using the laptop until it totally gets discharged and when the battery is very low the Macbook Pro will go to the sleep mode, where you need to turn it off and then allow it to sleep for more than 5 hours.
- Charge the Macboook Pro again and leave it connected to the charger until the battery is fully charged again.
Automate Dimming of Screen
To automatically dim your display at specified times, select “Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep” and “Slightly dim the display when using this power source.”
Close the Background Applications
There could be a lot of applications running in the background which were not closed earlier, and these all running apps can hamper the battery life all the time. It is always better to close the running background applications, and here is how you can do it:
Go to Applications folder > Utilities > Activity Monitor > CPU tab > Select “All Processes” from the dropdown menu in the CPU tab > Sort the list of apps based on the CPU usage > Quit the apps which are using a lot of processing power.
Keep the connectivity options like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi turned off when you are not using them.
Manual Battery Saving
Although you might be using the Macbook Pro like a desktop and keeping it connected to the charger all the time, it is better to give it continuous cycles of usage, as the continuous charging of the Mac Pro would slowly reduce the life of the battery in the long run.
Check the battery saving tips for the other devices:
- Increase iPad Mini Battery Life
- Saving iPhone from Switching off on Low Battery
- Increase Battery Life of Apple iPhone and iPod
Img Source: Gizmodo
Macbook Pro battery