Spam and spammers are one of the big problems for most of the bloggers on the wordpress platform, where just its not the direct comments but also the trackback and pingback spam which has filled many blogs which are not well monitored or checked by the owners.
And to fight the spam in wordpress blogs, there are a few plugins like Akismet which can help in blocking spam comments and trackbacks but not always. One plugin that does some good job is WP-spamfree anti-spam plugin.
This plugin has a load of options, and can work to prevent all kinds of spam in the wordpress self-hosted blogs. It makes sure that the comments that reach your moderation box are human, but not from any bot or automated ones.
Here are a few more features of the plugin –
- This plugin also works silently, and does not need any CAPTCHA in the comment box to confirm the identity of the comment posted.
- It has a powerful protection against spam trackbacks and pingbacks.
- Includes drop-in spam-free contact form. Easy to use – no configuration necessary.
- The plugin also keeps track of number of spam comments and data blocked, to show the effectiveness.
- The spam queue would have real spam, and you won’t need to go through it to find any real comments.
- Enhanced Comment Blacklist option! Instead of just sending comments to moderation as with WordPress’s default Comment Blacklist functionality, with this turned on, anything that matchs a string in the blacklist will be completely blocked. Also adds a link in the comment notification emails that will let you blacklist a commenter’s IP with one click.
- You can show off the spam blockage stats with the help of a widget.
You can download the plugin from the WordPress plugins directory.